Hearing aids and amplifiers- are you searching for a suitable one?
Finding it difficult to filter from the wide range of products available, which not only are distinct according to their use, but also are different in the terms of cost, features and type?
Well, look no further, as here we shall get you some clarification about which hearing aid should you get, and how!
We at Hionec assertively provide you with hearing solutions that you seek- and give you a hassle-free, easy and smart approach to your needs.
Choosing the correct one for your hearing needs
A rule of thumb to remember when getting hearing aids is to first ascertain with yourself the kind of aid or device you are looking for- as according to the way your usage shall be.
Every person’s need and requirement from the aid is distinct, and hence one-fits-all doesn’t really reward you in this instance. Out of all the varied factors to consider before choosing and finalizing a suitable device for you, one needs to determine the level of audio response you require from the device.
Are you an active outdoor hustler who seeks a level of spatial awareness and amplification from your hearing aid to help you on the latest trek over the weekend?
Are you an avid, cordial host to the best book club meetings on this side of town, and want to mingle freely with the crowd and astound them with a sparkling conversation?
Well, what you need from a machine, is what you should preferably get- and knowing what you need is the first step of the battle. The sheer number of hearing aids and the varieties of hearing amplifiers available in the market are enough to help you choose your needle in the haystack.
Once you have established the kind of work you shall eek out from the hearing aid, you can then get ahead to considering the other factors which would help you get the perfect fitting hearing aid for you.
Types of hearing aids available for you
Out of all the devices available in the marketplace, pertaining to hearing aids and amplifiers, a common distinction through them all is about how they are used on the ear- and how they function.
Added to this is the modern, digital hearing amplifiers which include certain extra features aimed at making the use of such devices as seamless as possible.
As according to the types of hearing aids available, here are the commonly used ones:
- BTE (Behind-The-Ear): A simple, easily available hearing aid, a BTE device is placed over your ear, and is snuggled behind the earlobe. A discreet tube runs from the device to the custom made earpiece, also known as an ear mold, and fits in your ear canal. Widely used by people across the age spectrum and readily sought by people, this one is quite a popular choice. Its main features include that is has directional microphones, which ensure that you get clarity of speech when in a conversation. The amplification achieved by this type is perhaps unmatched by the other smaller versions of hearing aids available in the market. However, a drawback of this type is that it also tends to pick up and amplify ambient noise- such as wind or background traffic, and thus hampers your directional focus to an ongoing task or conversation. These types also support rechargeable batteries which need some maintenance over the time of use.
- ITC (In-The-Canal): In an ITC hearing device, the part which fits inside the user’s ear is custom molded and is made to ensure there are no gaps or nooks left against the ear canal. Promptly used for combating hearing defects in the mild to moderate range, these hearing amplifiers are generally used for adults. Since the size of these kind of hearing aids are smaller than the other ones, using them is discreet and convenient. However, the smaller size also poses the challenge of difficulty in adjusting the device easily. Another drawback of this kind is the tendency of the speaker of the device to be saturated with earwax buildup with extended use. And since the hearing aids are compact, they are susceptible to being misplaced, as well.
- ITE (In-The-Ear): Simply put, this kind of hearing aid rests in the nook of the earlobe, and are aimed at people with moderate to severe loss of hearing.These kinds of hearing amplifiers generally encompass two microphones, and are directional in nature- to ensure that the device picks up sounds from across the surroundings. This particular layout of directional microphones helps in giving the user a level of clarity of speech, even in noisy environments. Often, these also contain additional features built-in, such as volume control and range modulator, though the latter is not a feature utilized by the general public often. Batteries in this type of devices are rechargeable and are often active enough to last a day’s use. In terms of visibility, these devices tend to be noticeable as a plug over the ear canal- but with the increasing use of ear-pods and other listening devices, these hearing aids becomes virtually indistinguishable from those.
- RIC (Receiver-In-Canal): For these type of hearing amplifiers, the receiver of the device is present at the opening of the ear canal, and the main amplifier of the hearing aid sits behind one’s ear, which is similar to the BTE kind. A distinct difference is that the receiver is connected to the device using a thin wire- instead of a more visible tubing, thereby offering some discreetness. It also supports aided amplification for hearing loss of mild to moderate kind, and has directional microphones to enable the user to have conversations more clearly. These devices have manual control options, and are usually used by people of progressive old age, because of the simplicity of use and no additional, confusing features. Batteries in the device are usually charged overnight, when one plugs them in their cases. Earwax clogging is a hassle, though, when it comes to such a hearing amplifier.
Getting more out of your hearing aids
In addition to the function of helping loss of hearing, there are also certain factors to consider, when choosing a hearing aid. Generally, these factors refer to the additional features you receive in the hearing amplifier, and the benefits you get, when using the smart, suitable hearing aid.
- Directional microphones: These microphones are aligned on the device itself to pick the sounds from the direction facing the user- to ensure that the sounds such as the ongoing conversation is clearly amplified and heard by you, clearly.It also ensures that due to the directional nature of the microphones, the background noise is reduced and does not interfere with your usual interaction.
- Wireless technology: Let’s face it- people are now more connected than ever. When it comes to being constantly in touch with the world, all sorts of technological advancements and connectivity options are being added to everyday objects to cater to one’s needs.Hearing aids are now getting a makeover and offer instant connectivity with your phones through Bluetooth technology. Several options in hearing amplifiers offer you the option to stream music directly into your ear, with volume control and modulation options. Moreover, some hearing devices also allow you to control the aid by using an application on your phone.
To-do before you buy a suitable hearing aid
With a decent number of options available to you with regards to hearing aids, you shall find it easy to sift through the alternatives. However, we recommend that you have a definitive outlook at the whole thing, and follow these simple steps before buying:
- Inquire about the hearing needs with respect to the future: While the hearing amplifier that you select will serve you well with regards to counter loss of hearing at the concurrent period, you might want to consider a device which gives you an option of increasing the amplification power- preferably in-built, so that you can continue to use the hearing aid even with progressive hearing loss. Often, the usage period of a hearing amplifier is around 5 years.
- Refer to an audiologist: The audiologist shall not only assess your hearing for you, they shall also help you determine the exact cause and effects of the kind of hearing loss you find yourself suffering from.This in turn helps you determine the kind of hearing solution would suit you best, by letting you choose the best fit when it comes to the type of hearing aids and amplifiers.
- A doctor’s reference might be of help: By consulting a doctor, you can get a professional assessment about the causes of the loss of hearing, and can thus use the information to venture out for treatments and possible solutions.
Expectations you should have when using hearing aids
You should be advised that getting a hearing amplifier is the easy part- getting used to wearing it every day takes some time adjusting to.
One might find that the improvement in the listening ability by the use of hearing aids is not quick- it takes time for you to adjust to the amplification and get the best out of wearing the device.
Furthermore, bear in mind that hearing aids and amplifier devices do not restore hearing magically. They simple allow your ears to listen to the sounds around you better- by giving the ear canal an amplified version of the sound it detects.
Ambient sounds and background noise would seem ever-present, and yet by using a better quality of hearing aids, you can rest assured that the directional microphones will help you tide over the drawback, with ease.
And even after getting a hearing amplifier, one needs to follow-up the process by visiting a doctor or an audiologist regularly.
This is a preventive measure which you might want to consider, to ensure that the diminishing hearing does not dwindle down further, and cause you greater loss of hearing. Often, early detection and comprehensive treatment can allow you to enjoy hearing (even with the assistance of hearing aids)- in spite of the progressive old age.
Caring for your hearing aid
While using hearing aids and amplifier devices, you must keep in mind a few things to ensure that the machine helps your hearing for a longer period:
- Keep water away: While this one is a no-brainer, since it allows your hearing aid to be used without a hassle- note that most of the modern day hearing amplifiers have a level of tolerance for moisture- such as from sweat and a splash of water.It is always better to refer to the device specifications to know the water resistance ability of the particular device.
- Clean it, and lean on it: Earwax build up is a natural phenomenon and it results in a slowly fading sound sensation when using the hearing aid. Often, people panic by thinking that their hearing loss has progressed to severe.By cleaning and maintaining the hearing amplifier, you extend the life of the device and help it serve you without a hitch.
- Charging it when needed: With most of the tech-savvy hearing amplifiers and devices available, you might need to charge the hearing aid as according to your usage. However, like any other electronic device, you should charge it when necessary- and avoid overcharging it over the normal course.
When all is said and done, hearing aids and hearing amplifiers help you maintain a level of comfort in living your own life, unencumbered. The freedom that you shall experience when using our Hionec hearing aids will enhance your everyday tasks and make you more aware of your surroundings and conversations.
Grab your life at the helm and regain your confidence in leading your time around people in a meaningful way. Not only shall you feel more in control, you shall also appreciate the clarity which comes with enhanced hearing.